Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led around by the Spirit in the wilderness; And Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about Him spread through all the surrounding district. And He began teaching in their synagogues and was praised by all; “THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME, BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR. HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES, AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED, TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.” Luke 4:1+14-15+18-19
What is the purpose of the Holy Spirit’s POWER in your life? The Holy Spirit is the POWER of God given to you for ministry and to accomplish His purposes in your life. The Holy Spirit can be with you and in you but there is a ‘coming upon you’ with POWER that took place after Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist in the Jordan. After this, the Holy Spirit would drive Jesus into the wilderness to be tested, then lead him out in POWER to begin his ministry. The Holy Spirit empowered him but also LEAD him. How important is the POWER and leading of the Holy Spirit to the work you are called to? Jesus told the disciples NOT to proceed, but to wait until the PROMISE of the father came on the Day of Pentecost, the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Besides being the Son of God, Jesus was a carpenter in the early part of his career, then a healer and teacher in the last 3 1/2 years before going to the cross to die for the sins of the world. What is the vocation God has placed you in for your assignment? Your work is your worship - God expects you to bring the POWER and anointing of the Holy Spirit into all you do. But you must be intentional about bringing the Holy Spirit into your ‘everyday everything’s’. You will need His help to reach your potential in the Lord and fulfill God’s purposes in your generation like David did. Here are a few practical day to day areas you can invite the Holy Spirit into your ‘everyday everything’s’.
- Conversations: The Holy Spirit can give you insight (discernment) into a situation, a persons motives, a glimpse into the future, and open the eyes of your heart to perceive things beyond your five senses. Will you invite Him into your next conversation?
- Fruitfulness: The Holy Spirit can direct you where to go and when. He can keep you safe from danger and fruitful in your calling when you follow His direction. Submit your ways to Him and let Him guide you into success.
- Moments of Ministry: God’s heart is available to you every moment of everyday to discern where there is need for Jesus. As you perceive the need, The Holy Spirit will invite you into evangelism, equipping, and serving His purposes. Will you ask Him to open your eyes to see the needs that He sees?
It is possible to be saved but not endued with the POWER and anointing of the Holy Spirit. Won’t you ask Him today to fill you and direct your steps as He did Jesus and the disciples. Jesus longs to live through you and empower using the ministry of the Holy Spirit.
REFLECT TO CONNECT:
- In what ways would you describe the nature of the Holy Spirit?
- How has the power of God been manifested for you or in you?
- Who do you know that regularly experiences the anointing of the Holy Spirit?
Principle: The Holy Spirit represents the person of Jesus to you so the power of God can be manifest in you so you can accomplish His purposes in your generation.