So Moses said to them, “If you will do this, if you will arm yourselves before the LORD for the war, and all of you armed men cross over the Jordan before the LORD until He has driven His enemies out from before Him, and the land is subdued before the LORD, then afterward you shall return and be free of obligation toward the LORD and toward Israel, and this land shall be yours for a possession before the LORD. Numbers 32:20-22
God has an agenda to move His purposes and you forward. These can include taking territory, defeating the enemy, repositioning you, promoting you, helping others around you, you starting a family and buying a house, eliminating wrongdoing in your environment, witnessing, starting a ministry, His list is endless but it has seasons. What is not endless is your responsibility as part of His plan. You have a part to play in moving the kingdom forward and yourself in the larger story God wants to unfold through you. This is what Moses was reminding the tribes of Rueben and Gad of when he agreed to let them settle on this side of the Jordan apart from where the most of the ‘territory taking’ would take place. In the same way, God asks you to fulfill your responsibility for the season you are in.
After going through a difficult season and an even longer season of preparation, I remember asking God when he was going to act. Sitting in my car feeling discouraged, God whispered to me and said, ‘I’m waiting on you.’ Here are a few questions to help you engage God on His agenda:
- God’s agenda is timing based with a beginning and an end, what is God asking you to participate in this month/year?
- What is the over-arching story unfolding in this season of your life, how are you discerning the Hand of the Lord and His purposes?
- It’s not always about you, in what ways is God wanting to move His agenda and other people forward using you?
REFLECT TO CONNECT:
- In what ways would you like God to move you and yours forward in this season?
- Have you asked God recently for His input on how you might participate?
- Is there anything left undone that you need to complete?
Principle: While you are waiting for God to act, He is often waiting for you to get off the bench and into action.